This project is designed to fill the role of systems like DBA and give me an excuse to prepare some armies for the table and play with them without having to commit to a huge number of miniatures for each and the time and expense that would entail.
I am planning to produce about four (maybe more) armies to play Neil Thomas' One Hour Wargames. These armies consist of six elements drawn from a pool of ten so I shall be assembling and painting all ten options (and some extras, more on those later).
This army is a fanciful one that will allow me to field some of the more exotic miniatures that are available from many manufacturers. Principally, I'll be using a core of Games Workshop flagellants as my infantry. These will be supported by armed clergy from Westwind as their missile-armed wings.
I bought a set of 33 flagellants off eBay. I've added a final flesh highlight to them as the skin was a bit dark and mended any scuffs. Some have broken weapons but I've left them as they are.
Then it was off with the bases and away with the slotta tabs. I plan to drill and pin them to the group bases.
I don't have any banners or flags planned for the flagellants, instead, I'm going to have them following behind impaled skeletons in wheelbarrows pushed by nuns and choir boys.
The Skeletons are 3D prints from eBay (I really must get my resin printer up and running), the wheelbarrows are from Warbases and the nuns and choirboys are from Westwind.
I may add flames to the tops of the stakes, I've not decided yet.
Change of plan for the flagellants. I've found some flags for them and I'm not convinced by the wheelbarrows and nuns idea so it's back to a 'normal' unit configuration for them. I turned the ones with broken weapons into standard bearers.
The 'wings' of the infantry bases will be made up of clergy, several armed with crossbows and grenades and the rest brandishing curses and prophesies of Divine Wrath.
My clergy are from Westwind.
The last two wings were going to be made up of some 'Vatican hit squad' miniatures from Westwind but, on closer inspection, they weren't suitable so I'm going to add another eight clergy instead.
This particular army has had a lot of changes, I'm doing my best to document them all. Hopefully, it will all be alright in the end.
As I was starting this army I got a nasty infection in my leg which put me out of action for three weeks. This was the first hurdle to overcome. There were more to come.
Basing the flagellants
I didn't want to be messing around trying to squeeze basing compound between all the flagellant legs so I decided to prepare a set of blank but terrained bases for them.
Then I added a pin to the underside of each miniature and drilled a coresponding hole in the base. Once everyone was glued in position, I added static grass as usual and sanded the undersides of the bases so everything was flush and smooth.